Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Indoor cats can be happy cats

Seven years ago, I went to a farmer and brought home two kittens, not only for their companionship, but for their predatory prowess to take care of the rampant rodent population in our backyard. That first year while they were yet only half-grown, they cleaned up our spacious, heavily-planted backyard, not only of rodents, but several birds. I was convinced of their prowess as "killing machines."

After another year, my calico decided to roam the countryside, and I had evidence that she was traveling as much as 3 miles away. I learned that she had narrowly missed death and injury a few times out in the wilds. I love my cats and their companionship, so I made them indoor cats when spring came. Of course, they expressed their displeasure, but they learned the meaning of my "no" and gradually adjusted to the territories of the house, their toys and playtime with me and with each other.

Once they were rid of all the parasitic critters that cats get outside, there was no more expense for that. They are happy, well-adjusted, very healthy indoor cats.



Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]